Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Christian Biographies

It was recently brought to my attention the significant impact the reading of Christian biographies had the spiritual and ministerial development of C.H. Spurgeon and George Whitfield. Scripture itself places emphasis on our learning from others around us and from those who have gone before us. We must always recognize the saints on whose shoulders we stand in the work of building God's church!

With that in mind, allow me to ask a question. What good Christian biographies have you recently read... contemporary or from generations gone by? Please post in the comment section so we can all add to our "must read" lists.

I am currently reading The Biography of Robert Murray McCheyne by Andrew Bonar. I recently finished a more contemporay biography, The Hand of Providence: The Faith of Ronald Reagan.

What are you reading that you would recommend?

Grace to You!

5 comments:

AllanM said...

"Prison Ministry: Understanding Prison Culture Inside and Out" by Lennie Spitale

Not really a biography which is what you were looking for, but the topic is close to my heart, and what else would you expect of me? :-)

It does have some biographical information and is the best of a number of books I have read on the subject.

Anonymous said...

A must read for any fundamentalist is Portrait of Obedience, The Bioraphy of Robert T. Ketcham by J. Murray Murdoch. I also recomend Charles H. Spurgeon by J.C. Carlile. Chapter 14 "The Storm" is an illuminating look at the "Down Grade" controversy. For those not familiar, happy reading.

John said...

Well I am not recommending a biography but asking for someone to recommend a specific one. This summer I decided I wanted to study Jonathan Edwards and the Great Awakening. So can anyone recommend something. I figure this would be the right blog to ask. Anyway, Grace to you.
-John

Dave said...

J. Wendell - Murdoch's biography of Ketcham is a very good treatment, not just of the man, but also a movement that was vital for its time! It is a biography that I often recommend to pastor's wives. The role that Doc's wife played in his ministry was invaluable.

John - Jonathan Edwards - A New Biography, by Iain Murray should be very good. I have not perspnally read it, but Murray is a phenomemal historian and theologian all wrapped up in one shell. I heard Murray this week at the Parkside Pastor's conference.

Happy reading!

John said...

Dave,

I am jealous again of the cool conferences you go to. You were also very close to my home church too. Thanks for the book recomendation. Ill have to go over to Books by the Park and pick it up.
Cya soon buddy,
-John