Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Trying Not to Make and Idol

I write today sitting in the courtyard of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, CA! That's right! The church where my greatest theological and ministry influence shepherds. I am tremendously privileged to be at the Grace Church Shepherds Conference. Dr. MacArthur spoke this morning, giving us an introduction to a study of Jude - THE LONG HARD BATTLE FOR THE TRUTH. Unbelievable. I am trying not to sound like the proverbial "kid in a candy store," but let's face it... I am in the "Mecca" of fundamental Christendom.

Picture a 30 year old man. He has 8 years of marriage and 8 years of pastoral ministry under his belt. Still learning, but no spring chicken. He fathers 3 children. He is part of a an incredibly gifted pastoral staff. He is a level headed young man, most of the time. He would like to think of himself as fairly mature. Now... place this man right in the center of his greatest spiritual mentors, the men, who through their writings and teachings, have most influenced his thinking and practices. This same man who is usually level headed and mature is like a little leaguer standing in Yankee Stadium with Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Pedro Martinez and some of the other major league greats. The only thing greater for this little slugger would be to bring back the greats of yesteryear such as Babe Ruth or Cy Young. That is me. I am trying to keep my composure. But I am in the midst of John MacArthur, Al Mohler, R.C. Sproul and Phil Johnson. The only thing to make it better would be if we could bring Jonathan Edwards, Martin Luther or C.H. Spurgeon back from the ministry of yesteryear .

God has blessed me today in a special, certianly undeserved way, to be in the presence of such godly, Christ centered, Word exalting men this week, not the least of which is my own pastor Philip DeCourcy. What an honor to learn from these men!

Grace to You!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This goes right along with "whatever you do, do as unto the Lord"... Even being a success at "that which doesn't really matter" matters to the Lord, if it is done unto the Lord, and therefore becomes worship. Right?