Thursday, November 03, 2005

Reformation Day

It is amazing to me how few Christians know anything about Reformation Day. Those who do often play down the significance or even denounce the celebration of such, because it is divisive and elitist.

As for me and my house, we had a special worship service at home on Sunday that included a selection of hymns and spiritual songs that focused on the power, priority and preminence of the Word of God. I gathered the children around and told them the vivid story of Martin Luter's confrontation with Pope Leo and the Catholic rulers of his day. Then we did a Bible study from 2 Tim 3.16... looking at five really good reasons to study the Bible.
1. It is God's very word "God'breathed"
2. It tells us what God expects us to do "doctrine"
3. It tells what God forbids "reproof"
4. It tells how to be sanctified "correction"
5. It tells how to do the hard work of living holy "training in righteousness"

I trust as Christians, we will never downplay the significance of a man who was so passionate about the Truth of God's Word, that he staked his entire reputation and even his very life on the line for the defense of it... in so doing, changing Christendom and the World forevermore. Praise the Lord for the legacy of Martin Luther and may we have such courage.

May we all say "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel!"

Please take a moment and share how you celebrated Reformation Day by voting in the poll to the right and them sharing your experiences in comment!

Grace to You!

4 comments:

Jeremy Weaver said...

We went over to Steve's house and watched Luther, ate pizza, discussed theology, history, and reforming the church, then I came home and taught my kids the gospel.
I didn't see that as a selection in the poll.

John said...

What I voted I actually did!

Dave said...

Sure Jeremy... You celebrated with Family... Glad to see you here again.

Babri... you crack me up! I can't wait to read more about it... and see the pictures!

J. Wendell said...

Good post! Good reminder. I like your outline. Thanks for the exhortation.

brother John