Friday, April 15, 2005

A Different Perspective on Evangelism

Among the theologians that I read and learn from, I would not rank conservative commentator and best selling auther Ann Coulter close to the top. However, her comments last week (which I just got around to reading this afternoon) on the Brian Nichols / Ashley Smith / Purpose Driven life events were enlightening. Read the article titled "The Purpose Driven Left". Coulter's sharp, biting humor is hard to take for some. I rather find it an amusing way to deal with the harshness of today's news.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index&cid=108

Obviously, beginning a gospel presentation with "God has a purpose for you" is very man centered. But even after a wobbly start, one can get to the holiness of God, the depravity of man (especially when talking to a cold blooded killer), the substitutionary atonement of Christ and the need for faith and repentance. The reports indicate that Nichols heart softened as he reckoned his sad state (which he watch personally on the T.V. commenting "I can't believe I am that same man") and compared it to what he could be. The exact account of what was shared we'll certainly never know. The genuineness of Nichols converstion will come to light as time passes (as it does for all of us). But this we can learn: But for the grace of God I too would be running around with a gun and knocking people off who got in my way of chasing what I wanted. But in God's sovereign grace, I am redeemed, transformed, a new creation in Christ.

Please remember that Brian Nichols is no different than you and I. Neither is a man who claims infallibility as Head of the Church. Nor is an arrogant news reporter claiming to know all. A drunk, homeless man sitting in the park or the prostitute parading around the streets are neither any more or less depraved than you and I. They are no worse or better than you and I. We are all born with only the capacity for the worst of all sin. In my natural state of depravity, as an enemy of God, I might just as fast as anyone assume the be infallible. I might (and sometimes probably do) think I know everything. Yet God, who is rich in mercy, saved me.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I am found
Was blind, but now I see!

Grace to You!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A high view of God would be my starting point in evangelism, too(Is.6:1). We do serve the sovereign God who orders our steps and gives purpose and direction to sinful anthropos (Prov.16:19). Even though the method that starts with, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life," or "The most important thing in life is...," is not the best approach (i.e. the way I would go), God in His mercy does honor His Word with genuine conversions. Even as faulty, failing anthropos misuse, and sometimes, on purpose, abuse His Oracles, His Word which He exalts above His holy name does not return to Him void but accomplishes the result that He desires. Beginning with a low view of man, "we have all sinned and fallen short..." and getting around to, "...the glory of God," ultimately brings glory to Him who reigns on high. Yes, thank God that our Lord shed His blood and died to give glory to the Father, but I will also praise Him that He settled my debt too! Did I fail to mention Brian Nichols, and Ashley Smith? Speaking of a man or woman who claims infallibility, an arrogant news reporter, a drunk, a homeless man sitting in the park or the prostitute or homosexual parading around the streets, God knows just how to save them too! He may even use a compromising evangelist like Billy Graham to do so.

Fun musing with you,

J. Wendell (1Jn.1:7)