Saturday, April 02, 2005

Worship in the Laundry Room

Last week was a great time of vacationing with my family. It was not rushed, packed or harried with a whole list of this to do, see, and experience. It was the kind of vacation where one gets to simply stay home and not go to work. Now for those of you who love your job as much as I do, you realize that being only 15 minutes from your office and yet not checking in is virtually impossible. I managed to only go in twice, just once to teach a class though.

The majority of my vacation time was spent playing with my kids, cleaning my garage and caring for my pregnant wife. That sounds good, doesn’t it? Believe me, she does a good job of taking care of herself and the rest of our family, she hardly needs my help. But, I was home for the week and wanted to give her some time to prop up her feet or lay down her head. I cleaned the kitchen. I picked up after the kids. I gathered the laundry. I swept the living room and dining room. Then… I cleaned the kitchen again. I picked up after the kids again. I gathered the laundry again. I swept the floor again. Every time I turned around there was something to pick up again, something to sweep again. It was getting depressingly repetitive. At one point, I walked to my wife and said to her, “There is no way I could do your job. It is depressing!”

Later that night as I sat on the couch, I thought about how my wife Crystal consistently, patiently serves her role as a wife, mother and homemaker. My wife clearly understands that what she is doing is not simply an act of service to me or to the children, though it is certainly that. It is much more. It is, for her, an act of worship to a beautiful God. Yes, she worships even in the laundry room.

Worship is not limited to what you experience in a large room with a group of people on Sunday morning. Worship is a lifestyle. See Hebrews 13.15,16 “5Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name. 16And do not neglect doing good and sharing, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.”

Worship then involves a life that is lived in constant thanksgiving, recognizing that we can do nothing and have nothing of merit apart from God Himself. Even our worship itself is done “through Him” according to verse 15. We have nothing and can do nothing for God apart from God Himself. However, everything we do, must fit this pattern of thankful lips. A life of goodness and sharing is also an act of worship. As we go throughout our days, often routine, sometimes even a mundane, we must recognize we are worshipping something. The question is, what are we praising, who are we thanking, what drives us to do what we do? Are you driven by a desire to glorify yourself… to raise yourself up the corporate ladder? Perhaps you are worshipping your family and would give yourself wholly for the what you deem to be the good of your family. Or perhaps it is your boss. You want to impress and seek a smile from your boss.

We must remember, worship in its purest form occurs in the laundry room of the homemaker, the copy room of the office manager, and on the factory of the blue collar worker. What we do on Sunday morning is simply an overflow of a life of worship. If you approach a worship service anticipating the worship leader to provoke your spirit through song or testimony or in any other way, you are not even ready to think about worshipping, let alone actually worship. Worship is not a song, a sermon or cute sketch in a worship center. To be sure, these can be means of corporate worship, but they are the result of a life of worship… a life of praise, thanksgiving and goodness in our daily routines of life.

How many of us emotionally engage in “worship” on Sunday morning, but never even mention the Lordship and Jesus Christ and the Holiness of God in the daily routines of life. We sing with all our hearts, we even lift our hands in physical expression of what we feel. But those feelings do not translate into worship if they do not affect the lives we live.

Let this be a challenge to you as my wife has been to me. Worship should be the defining characteristic of a Christian life. Does your life point to the God from whom we gain our very life?

Grace to you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This goes right along with "whatever you do, do as unto the Lord"... Even being a success at "that which doesn't really matter" matters to the Lord, if it is done unto the Lord, and therefore becomes worship. Right?

Darlene Gomes said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful, much needed reminder!