Thursday, April 14, 2005

Nightmare at Panera

I am sitting in a Panera eating an Asiago Roast Beef sandwich (which I love!). I typically find Panera to be a great place to get away from my office for a bit to read, study or write. Panera offers free wireless internet access and as much Hazelnut House Blend coffee as I can drink. Contrary to how this sounds, it is not a commercial for Panera. In fact, I am doing everything in my power not to get up and storm out of here this very moment. It must be the beautiful Spring day that brings them out. Today Panera is filled with mothers and preschool age children. It might have something to do with the fact the this particular café is located adjacent to the largest mall here in Toledo. But they are out in droves!

To my right is three mothers with a total of five children, the oldest can’t be more than four years old. They are very well behaved. Eating politely and (mostly) quietly. In fact the oldest of the kids is actually holding and bottle feeding a newborn. A beautiful picture. On my left, however, is a mother and presumably a grandmother (neither one deserving such esteemed titles) and two of the most disrespectful children I have ever seen. I was just coughed on – I mean directly coughed on! This brother and sister are yelling, pushing and playing tug-o-war with the high chair. Another couple of ladies just got up, gathered their meals and all the papers they were shuffling through and moved to a table as far away as possible, and threw back a few glares like only women can as they walked away. The mother of the monsters didn’t even notice. She is too busy drinking her pop to notice her own children let alone the glares of the customers whose lives and lunches she is ruining. It is like a scene from a movie. The monsters are now licking, yes that is what I said, licking the exit doors and blocking the way of the kindly old ladies trying to get out. Oh, mommy just notices the nightmare. “Sammy, come here!” That’s all we get, “Sammy, come here!” This will be one of those instances that require a mop and a bucket of disinfectant cleaner when the mob finally leaves.

Now, understand I have three children with a fourth on the way. I know children can be crazy at times, even monstrous. Elisabeth, Rebekah and Jonathan are not angels. They present their challenges in many a public place. Ask my wife about trying to get them from their classrooms, retrieve their coats and get them to the van after a Sunday morning service, all the while trying to be the friendly, caring Pastor’s wife that she is. It is often not a pretty scene – it is after all nap time and lunch time.

This whole mob situation to my left causes me to praise the Lord for my wife once again. Together we have worked diligently, though not always consistently, at raising our children to reflect the graces of Christ in their everyday lives. Our children are just that – children. They are not angels, but neither are they monsters. That is a direct result of discipline on the part of my wife and I! Left to themselves they would in fact be monsters. They would be much like the little demons that have finally left here (and by the way, the mop and bucket have arrived!) I am reminded that I must be ever faithful in the work of shepherding the hearts (and indeed the actions) of my children. Correcting them when they lick a door or cough on a nice gentleman typing on his computer is important, but that will not change behavior. Stern, immediate discipline coupled with the long term discipleship efforts will produce a heart of obedience and life that honors the Lord. It doesn’t happen immediately, but it must start in the immediate. A swift stern paddle across the buttocks will not alone change behavior. But coupled with an intentional teaching plan that involves planned moments of instruction and spontaneous life lessons will, over the long haul, produce the desired result of Christlikeness in them.

May we be ever faithful to the most important task we have been given as parents, nurturing Christian maturity in our children.

Grace to You!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parenting? Oh, for grace to bring up our children as our loving, but firm heavenly Father brings us to matuurity.

J. Wendell (Gal.5:22-26)

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Haven't you ever tried the doors at Panera? They are almost as tasty as the Portabella Asiago cheese sandwich!

John said...

Dav, you crack me up!
-John