Monday, June 27, 2005

Joel Osteen: Man of Humilty

I have deliberately avoided mentioning Pastor Joel Osteen of Lakewood Church in Houston. He is quickly becoming a household name in American evangelicalism. I honestly have not done my research on his theology and ministry philosophy, and have therefore chosen to remain silent on his rapid rise to popularity.
Then, Pastor Osteen appeared on Larry King Live last week. I do not have cable television, so I did not see the interview live. I was directed to the transcript, which I am assuming was much less painful than watching it live. It was truly a train wreck. Even reading the transcript, I began to squirm in my chair, feeling quite sorry for Pastor Osteen. He delivered no system of belief and no discernable concept of salvation at all. I honestly, was very saddened that tens of thousands of people are influenced by this man every week.

Then came one of the greatest acts of humility I have seen demonstrated in a long time. Pastor Osteen issued an apology and sought forgivness. He was clear that he believes John 14.6, stating "having a personal relationship with Jesus is the only way to heaven." Further doctrinal and methodological differences notwithstanding, I admire the humilty of Pastor Osteen.

Lord, make me as humble as this man. Break me of myself. Teach me to fear you and no man.

Grace to You!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those guys I quickly flip past with the remote. I didn't see his interview (I don't think conservatives watch CNN anymore), but like you, I appreciate him acknowledging his mistake.

He demonstrates in his apology the reason why evangicals lose their power when they compromise: "In my desire not to alienate the people Jesus came to save..." This is what we must avoid at all costs.

I clicked on the "What We Belive" link. It was short and sweet - nothing objectionable except on the last one, I would like to know what he means by "abundant life". I suspect it has some element of prosperity gospel in it.