Thursday, June 30, 2005

You are what you read...

You should always be reading at least one book.

Any of you that know me will not be surprised by that statement. I make a point in virtually every sermon I preach to recommend at least one book. Reading stimulates your mind. Even, especially perhaps, if you don't agree with the author. As a general rule, I am reading one book on theology and one biography. I am still working my way through The Biography of Robert Murray McCheyne, by Andrew Bonar. I am about to start a book I have wanted to read for a few years actually, but was recently given it as a gift from my good friend John Babri - Richard Baxter's The Reformed Pastor.

As important as reading is, one's reading diet must be carefully chosen. I do not advocate only reading books of your predisposed positions and ideas. Stretch your mind with the thoughts of those you might not agree with. For example, I have book in my TO READ stack (which is intimidatingly tall) called Why I Am Not a Calvinist, Jerry Walls and Joseph Dongell. Obviously, I will not agree with the conclusions of the authors, but I trust that my mind and presuppositions will be stretched.

My musing on this subject this afternoon was provoked by two recent Barna Group reports on the subject of reading. A report released on May 30, 2005, entitled Survey Reveals The Books and Authors That Have Most Influenced Pastors, was very enlightening regarding the state of our evangelical churches in America. "When pastors were asked to identify the three books that had been most helpful to them as a ministry leader during the past three years, more than two hundred different books were listed. However, only nine books were listed by at least 2% of all pastors," states the report. The top two books listed as most helpful to Pastors were The Purpose Driven Life (listed by 21% of Pastors) and the Purpose Driven Church (listed by 15% of Pastors. Now, don't misunderstand me. These aren't the worst books that a pastor can read... but THE MOST HELPFUL AS A MINISTRY LEADER??

The report indicated that "only seven additional books gained recognition from at least 2% of pastors – and each of those seven publications was chosen by 2%. Those books were What’s So Amazing About Grace? by Phillip Yancey; Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala; Wild At Heart by John Eldredge; Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels; Spiritual Leadership by Henry Blackaby; Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley; and the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell."

Even more of a concern was the type of books pastors spend their precious time reading. The chart below shows what category of books were chosen. The percentage indicates what portion of pastors polled listed at least one book in that category in their list of the three most helpful.

54% Personal Spiritual Growth
23 % Church Growth
22 % Leadership
9% Evangelism
6% Pastoring
5% Prayer
5% Charismatic Perspectives
4% Cultural Trends
3% Preaching

Only 3% of Pastors said they found a book on Preaching extremely helpful. Maybe they all have mastered the art of expositing God's Word before God's people week in and week out. Only 9 % have read a helpful book on Evangelism? I realize I am an Outreach Pastor, but I have read four books already this year on evangelism that have challenged and stretched me immensely. Perhaps I still have more to learn.

My concern is simply this, how can we expect evangelical Christians to be growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ when their pastors are spending more time reading books about methodolgy than theology. I understand that we need to package the goods in an attractive, understandable way. But when you don't even know what you are packaging, does the pretty wrapping paper even matter?

Why are Christian "Bookstores" so full of self help books? Book on methodology, psychology, church growth, etc... But if I want to find a book on soteriology, ecclesiology or the doctrine of God's sovereignty, I have to order it online? Because people, and their pastors, aren't reading books that stretch our minds and force us to interact with the theology of God.

What are you reading? I am try to make a list entitled 5 Must Read Books for Every Christian. I find in difficult to limit it to five. It may grow to 10. But I will popst it here soon. In the mean time, what are you reading? Even if it is the Purpose Driven Life, read something! And think about it as you read it!

Grace to You!

3 comments:

AllanM said...

I just recently finished "The Biblical View of Self Esteem, Self Love and Self Image" by Jay E. Adams. I still need to return that, but I want to copy out a few paragraphs first for later reference.

A friend in seminary lent me 3 books - I'm busy reading "Into Abba’s Arms" by Sandra D. Wilson as well as "Discipleship Essentials" by Greg Ogden, and after that I have "Transforming Discipleship" also by Greg Ogden.

After those, I want to read "The Good Life" by Charles (Chuck) Colson which I was given recently at a Prison Fellowship event.

Eventually I want to get to "Rebel with a Cause" (autobiography) and "Living Beyond the Limits", both by Franklin Graham. After that, I have a box full of books I keep meaning to get to!

And I still need to finish "The Pilgrim's Progress" which I've started a few times but never finished.

Anonymous said...

A good, thought-provoking book that I lent to someone recently (I wonder if he is ever going to read it?) is "Divine Sovereignty and Human Freedom" by Samuel Fisk. I highly recommend it! Also - a good autobiography that was very moving - "God Pursues a Priest" by George Rich (a former pastor at EBC) Great reading!

Shawn said...

Awesome Article. Very good indeed, and it is telling.

Here's some of my favorites :

Desiring God
Pilgrim's Progress
Morning and Evening
Systematic Theology
The Pursuit of Holiness